Boerewors with Miele Pap is a dish served at The Meat Co and although I didn’t try it, what’s not to love about this traditional South African spicy all-meat sausage?
Boerewors is a South African specialty – a curly beast of a sausage. The name comes from Afrikaans, the word ‘boer’ translates to ‘farmer’ and ‘wors’ translates to ‘sausage’. It is made up of coarsely minced beef and spices such as coriander seed, black pepper, nutmeg, cloves and all-spice. It is best to cook boerewors on the BBQ, but make sure you don’t prick the sausage as this will allow the juices to escape and it will lose its flavour. Mielepap is a traditional porridge made from miele meal (ground maize). The Afrikanns word ‘pap’ means porridge or gruel.
Pomace oil is made from the residue left after producing virgin olive oil. If you can’t source it use olive oil instead.
Miele meal is maize meal and can be found in health food shops and some larger supermarkets.
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan and add the salt, pepper and butter. Pour the miele meal powder slowly into the boiling water while mixing with a whisk. Keep mixing for approximately 5 minutes to avoid any lumps, then pour the mixture into a baking dish (approx 30cm x 20cm) and allow it to cool down and set. once it is cooled use a round cookie cutter to mould into portions and re-heat individual portions in a microwave or steamer
- Score tomato skins and place in boiling water. While waiting for the skins to loosen, begin preparing the rest of the ingredients. Peel and cut the onions into chunky dices. Peel and chop the carrots and peppers into 1 inch dices. Remove the tomatoes from the water and discard the now loosened skin. Chop tomatoes coarsely. Wash the chilli and remove stalks. Chop finely and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the chopped tomatoes, sugar and water until well blended. Place the butter in a saucepan and melt gently. Add onions, carrots, peppers and chilli. Saute gently for 5 minutes then pour in the tomato mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy base saucepan, heat the pomace oil on a medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients and mix well
- In a clean not hot griddle or frying pan cook the boerewors with melted butter
- Serve with miele pap, chakalaka sauce and rocket salad.